Thursday, May 13, 2010

Macarons and Stamps

I found this wonderful site in one of my cooking explorations the other day. It is the blog of David Lebovitz. He is an American chef living in Paris and he writes about his life and cooking adventures. Click here-  David Lebovitz  to open a link to his blog. Have a look as he writes well and I am looking forward to trying some of his recipes. I have reserved a couple of his books at the library.

Anyway one of his recipes I tried last week was for Chocolate Macarons. Much has been written about Macarons (not to be confused with maccaroons). (If you do a Google search you will get 100s of  pages of links). They are a French patisserie delicacy made of a meringue type mixture baked and then sandwiched together with different fillings. I had great success using David’s recipe found here , and I also followed some tips found here and here.  Have a look  - I did not leave the unbaked shells to rest for 2 hours, being an impatient sort I baked them straight away:
IMG_1000
As you can see they turned out well with the ‘foot’ and uncracked shell  however they were really hard and chewy. Nevertheless I filled them with a basic ganache of cream,melted chocolate and a tiny bit of butter (David uses corn syrup in his recipe but it’s hard to find in NZ). Then came the hard part. We left them in the fridge for 3 days to soften. Then brought them to room temperature and tried them.
IMG_6820
WOW was all the family could say! They tasted amazing  - such a treat and I can’t wait to try them again and give them to my family and friends to try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also been doing some stamp carving practice (and Daughter 2 and 4 did some too) . Here are our latest endeavours:
IMG_6826
I am using a tutorial from Memi the Rainbow - another French link. This time an Italian living in Paris. Hence the ‘Notre Dame’ stamp bottom left. I am using her simple designs for practice while I work on figuring out some of my own designs.

Also while clearing out under the house recently I found my “Rigid Heddle Loom” which was a present from my in-laws a few years ago. I bought this book:
image
and have been learning how to warp up correctly and have started weaving a scarf.  The weather isn’t that great for photography today so pictures will follow in another blog post.
Here is a picture from the Ashford website of a Rigid Heddle Loom in case you don’t know what one looks like :
image
Back to the studio this afternoon : )
R x

No comments: